Here’s a summary of activity for the year 2016.
It’s been a huge year for milestones at the library. I suppose I’ve probably missed all kinds of great stuff that happened in 2016 below, but if there’s something else you thought was too super to skip, let me know; here’s a few of the big ones!
I created the first ever Hermetic Library survey, back in April, to get some thoughts from those who responded about what they most value at the library, and that was interesting for me as I hadn’t ever reached out like that before.
Starting on May 1st, May Day & Beltane, I ran the Hermetic Library 2016 Funding Campaign to try to help the library survive and thrive by offering some crowdfunding perks, including offering Featured Support links on the website and blog.
The Hermetic Library Zine was not only new this year, but had issues in June and November, in no small part due to the support of Funding and Patron supporters who made that work possible. A new zine, with two issues.
The Aethyrs comic was something that I’d been thinking about doing for several years, but finally went for it as part of Inktober, posting a panel a day for over a month, and then released a collected volume.
Part of releasing digital publications was creating a place for those, and so this year I created the Hermetic Library digital publications shop.
Back a few years ago at the local OTO body in Sacramento, I started up a monthly Reader’s Theatre, and that was fun, while it lasted. So this year I announced that as a library project and was able to put out the first Reader’s Theatre in May.
The annual Hermetic Library Anthology this year was an absolutely awesome monster in both quantity and quality. Magick, Music and Ritual 12, for 2016, for Anno V ii, rang in the library’s birthday anniversary with 45 tracks by 41 artists and a playlist that is 6 hours long; with new and returning artists from every prior anthology! I also introduced the first ever Odd Order Anthology this year, which was pretty darned nifty too.
Huge news, just under the wire, this year is that I moved the completely new site I’d been working on into production. There’s still way too much to do, but I just couldn’t let the year end without making this switch. I’d been working on it for a long time, and had hoped to have it completely ready; life got in the way of spending the time I’d hoped on getting it ready. However, in spite of the dust and disorder, this is something I’m super happy to have gotten in place this year. I’ve also upgraded Blog, BBS and Hermetic Library itself with SSL certificates.
But, I suppose, of all the milestones for the year, the stunningly awesome one was the library’s 20th year online! The anniversary of the site’s birth was on Dec 3rd, 1996. Huzzah!
Thank you for being part of the Hermetic Library family, whether you’re just a guest browsing the site, a participant in the work, a Funding or Patron supporter, or soever; without you the library would not have been able to continue Archiving, Engaging and Encouraging the living Western Esoteric Tradition, Hermeticism & Aleister Crowley’s Thelema for 20 years!
Some top posts on the blog from 2016
- Reader’s Theatre with Hermetic Library
- Hermetic Library Zine
- Hermetic Library album call for 2016 submissions
- Hermetic Library Zine June 2016
- Fucking Trans Women
- Crowley Corollary achievement unlocked in 2016 US elections!
- 93 problems but Thelema ain’t one
- The Union of Isis and Thoth
- Annihilation of Aleister Crowley
- The Angel & The Abyss
- The Hermetic Library Anthology Album – Magic, Music and Ritual 12
- The Rose Cross and the Age of Reason
- In the Beginning …
- Dungeon Solitaire: Labyrinth of Souls
- In conversation with Steven A McKay
- A Sanctuary of Sounds
- There was Nothing
- laṁ in tibetan seal script
- Greater Feast of Aleister Crowley
- The Gospel of Thomas: The Hidden Sayings of Jesus
- Nothing decided to become Something.
- God’s Freemasonry
- Nothing gets boring really fast.
- The Gnostic Notebook: Volume Three: On Plato, the Fourth Dimension, and the Lost Philosophy
- I’d rather be alone.
- Lux Aeterna
- Greater Feast of Saint Osiris
Some top old posts at the blog
- The Wild Unknown Tarot
- Leaf and twig design ring sets
- Da Pacem Domine
- The Law is for All
- The Book of Soyga
- The Daemon Tarot
- The Occult Anatomy of Man & Occult Masonry
- A new space for Community Announcements
- Satanic Feminism
- AMORC altar set
- The Book of Abraxas: A Grimoire of the Hidden Gods
- “O coffee! By the mighty Name of Power do I invoke thee, consecrating thee to the Service of the Magic of Light. Let the pulsations of my heart be strong and regular and slow! Let my brain be wakeful and active in its supreme task of self-control! That my desired end may be effected through Thy strength, Adonai, unto Whom be the Glory for ever! Amen without lie, and Amen, and Amen of Amen.”
- The Moonchild of Yesod is also available as a free download
- Lucifer, Azrael and Mephistopheles masks from The Art of the Mask
- The Neteru of Kemet
- Leather steampunk Anubis and Bast masks
- Goetic demon statues and more
- Anatomy Occultus
- Freemasonry of the Ancient Egyptians
- Constructions: Creating Nature’s Geometry by Aaron Knapp
Some top pages at the library
- The Holy Koran of the Moorish Science Temple of America — Moorish Science Temple
- The Temporary Autonomous Zone, Ontological Anarchy, Poetic Terrorism — Hakim Bey
- Secret Fire: The Relationship Between Kundalini, Kabbalah, and Alchemy — Mark Stavish
- The Book of Lies Which Is Also Falsely Called Breaks —Libri — Aleister Crowley
- Magick Without Tears — Books — Aleister Crowley
- The Equinox — Articles / Books — Aleister Crowley
- Liber 777 vel Prolegomena Symbolica Ad Systemam Sceptico-Mysticæ Viæ Explicandæ, Fundamentum Hieroglyphicum Sanctissimorum Scientiæ Summæ — Libri — Aleister Crowley
- The Cipher Manuscript — Golden Dawn
- A Short Course in Scrying — Norton’s Imperium
- The Book of Pleasure (self-love): The Psychology of Ecstasy — Austin Osman Spare
- The Spirit of Solitude: An Autohagiography Subsequently Re-Antichristened The Confessions of Aleister Crowley
- The New and Old Commentaries to Liber AL vel Legis, The Book of the Law
- Liber O vel Manus et Sagittae sub figurâ VI — Libri — Aleister Crowley
- LIBER XXX AERUM Vel Saecvli Svb Figvra CCCCXVIII — Books / Libri — Aleister Crowley
- Magick in Theory and Practice — Books — Aleister Crowley
- Liber LXXVII / Liber OZ — Libri — Aleister Crowley
- The Emerald Table of Hermes
- The Forty-Eight Calls or Keys in the Enochian Language, Crowley’s Phonetic, and Dee’s English.
- Book 4 — Books / Libri — Aleister Crowley
- The Divine Constitution and By-Laws — Moorish Science Temple
- A∴A∴ — Orders — Aleister Crowley
- Liber LXV Liber Cordis Cincti Serpente sub figurâ אדני — Libri — Aleister Crowley
- Liber AL vel Legis sub figurâ CCXX — Libri — Aleister Crowley
- On the Formulae of the Unicursal Hexagram — David Richard Jones
- Liber E vel Exercitiorum sub figurâ IX — Libri — Aleister Crowley
- Belief versus Knowledge — Frater Achad
- A Kabbalistic Guide to Lucid Dreaming and Astral Projection — Mark Stavish
Some top posts on social media
- “some kinds of knowledge are more powerful and potentially more dangerous than others.”
- Announcing the Hermetic Library 2016 Funding Campaign #mayday #crowdfunding #magick
- “a lyrical reflection of the witch and her many guises … an ‘illuminated manifesto’”
- Greater Feast of Saint Aleister Crowley, died December 1, 1947 at Hastings, United Kingdom
- Orders of Aleister Crowley
- Jack Parsons & “infamous for their perceived collective death wish … the Suicide Squad”
- William Blake’s illustration to an ode for Horace Walpole’s drowned cat
- “79-card, hand-painted tarot deck created c1906 by the mystic & artist Austin Osman Spare”
- Weiser Antiquarian Books Catalogue No. 156 Alchemy and Hermetica Summer 2016 – Part I
- Esoteric Book Conference 2016 lineup, includes Hermetic Library Fellow Colin D Campbell
- “We’re all in this together, we’re all jailed in the patterns and the systems we and others have put in place.”
- The Elder Tarot by Jan Pimping
- Custom-Made David Bowie Tarot “This deck is a full 78 card tarot deck based on the legendary David Bowie. It comes unopened and untouched with a white windowed tuck box to keep the cards in.”
- Magic In Islam by Michael Muhammad Knight “magical & occult technologies throughout Muslim history”
- “You are God in drag. You are dressed up in this outfit of a body, which is temporary. You are eternal. You are forever. You are unchanged. And this is a dream you’re having. So don’t get to attached to it. Make love. Love people. Be sweet. Have corn dogs. Dance. Live. Love. Fuck shit up. But it’s all good. You can’t fuck it up because you’re eternal.”
- Aleister & Adolf, by Douglas Rushkoff & Michael Avon Oeming, due Nov, explores the crossroads of magic and fascism
- Magick in the Desert: Aleister Crowley’s Algerian Adventures by Jeremy Sandler “telling of Crowley’s journey through Algeria, the book demonstrates the blurry line between the real and surreal in Crowley’s life”
- “If there is indeed a God, there is certainly a preponderance of evidence that God is sick of this failed and unruly human experiment and is therefore on a roll of smiting us.”
- Hermetic Library Zine November 2016, Issue #2, from Hermetic Library
- I shall fight openly for that which no living Englishman dare defend, even in secret — sodomy!—Aleister Crowley, The World’s Tragedy
- If Hermetic Library isn’t worth $1/month to you, why are you reading this? Help Hermetic Library! Get free stuff!
- all forms of serious art and knowledge—in other words, all forms of truth—are suspect and dangerous.—Georges Bataille, Story of the Eye
- Join me in thanking our Funding and Patron supporters of Hermetic Library! Consider how you can support the work too
- Jack liked to know people’s names. They interested him. Names seemed to describe a person or at least it often seemed so.—Nikolai Bird, Cthulhu—Something in the Mud
- humanity facing the choice between anarchy and totalitarian control—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World Revisited
- Eat it, you sow!
I’m your dog, fuck, shit!
Swallow it now!
Rest for a bit!
Satan, you gave
A crown to a slave.—Aleister Crowley, Leah Sublime
- (Io Pan! Io Pan!)
Devil or god, to me, to me,
My man! my man!
Come with trumpets sounding shrill
Over the hill!—Aleister Crowley, Hymn to Pan
- Straddle your Beast
My Masterful Bitch
With the thighs of you greased
With the Sweat of your Itch!
Spit on me, scarlet
Mouth of my harlot!—Aleister Crowley, Leah Sublime
- “We do not whine about pain and loss! It is a gift. Burn your hand and understand fire, child! You don’t learn about the frost by asking for its name. You give it a finger…a toe. Hmm?”—J Kelley Anderson, Casting Shadows
- “Why do we hesitate to call Babalon a Goddess of Love?”—Peter Grey, The Red Goddess
- As a practical application of this principle, I suggest you seek out several people that inspire you in this way. Ask them about their path: How did they get where they are? What called to them or inspired them? What do they consider their best choices and their worst failures?—David Shoemaker, Living Thelema
- “Memories do not always soften with time; some grow edges like knives.”—Barbara Kingsolver, The Lacuna
- “political merchandisers … make no attempt to educate the masses into becoming fit for self-government”—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World Revisited
- “Man has not only dissembled, deceived, made war without cause, given cause to those who dare not or could not defend their rights, and compelled his fellow to believe without evidence or intuition, but he has called the God whom he says delights in goodness and will punish all evil doers, to be a witness and a helper in his evil deeds.”—John J. Miller, The Polygamist King
- The Collected Works of Aleister Crowley
- Correspondence of Aleister Crowley
- “He strikes Eleven times upon the Bell, and cries
I entered in with woe; with mirth
I now go forth, and with thanksgiving,
To do my pleasure on the earth
Among the legions of the living.
He goeth forth.”—Liber XLIV, The Mass of the Phoenix
- Vampire Women: Eight Pen Portraits, from Life (Hokku by Aleister Crowley as Kwaw Li Ya)—Vanity Fair, July 1915
Some top posts on the BBS
- Forthcoming from Hadean Press: The Magickal Language of the Book of the Law
- Aura Alert to be released soon
- Update to Tarot Writing Workshop in Oakland
- Tarot Writing Workshop in Oakland starting on Feb. 21st
- Check out the Omnium Gatherum board on Pinterest
- What is the point of it all?
- Our little homage to Lemmy
- Hillbilly Horror Stories discusses Aleister Crowley
- Neural Story Singing Christmas
- Selenic DVD/Album release – The Somnambulist’s Field Guide
- Neoplatonism and Plotinus
- New Post – Prima Materia
- Occult Lingerie from Creature Craft Co
- Sâr Péladan, Lucifer, Art & Angels with Sasha Chaitow at Treadwell’s on September 6
- Apophenia and animism perception in nature
- Hot new way to learn ancient chants!
- “It is difficult to imagine a more powerful counter-image to the dominant picture of modernity than the archetypal bathhouse.”
- Library News for July 2016
- “Take a moment today to reflect on how you spend your emotions!”
- Cappella Romana and CCRMA Time Travel to Hagia Sophia