Unfairness and slyness the four children hated above all.
Edward Eager, Half Magic
- “was it just an accident, or did we want so much to be magic we got that way, somehow?”
- “It’s being made to learn things not on purpose. It’s unfair,” he said. “It’s sly.”
- “Because of course the only way pretending is any good is if you never say right out that that’s what you’re doing.”
- “Sad children bewitched by nodding hollow wooden sockets of their skulled toy.”
- “Time that eateth his children hath not power on them that would not be children of Time. To them that know themselves immortal, that dwell always in eternity, conscious of Nuit, throned upon the chariot of the sun, there is no death that men call death.”