Gale’s convinced the Capitol does it on purpose, rigs the drawings to add extra drama.
Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire
- “But if Masonry has not as yet fulfilled its primary purpose and, though engaged in admirable secondary activities, is as yet an initiating instrument of low efficiency, it may be that, with enlarged understanding of its designs, that efficiency may yet become very considerably increased.”
- “You have no love, no faith, and no purpose. You shall be my instrument, and in return, you shall gain the things you lack.”
- “So I still have a chance, though. Funny, in the arena, when I poured out those berries, I was only thinking of outsmarting the Gamemakers, not how my actions would reflect on the Capitol. But the Hunger Games are their weapon and you are not supposed to be able to defeat it. So now the Capitol will act as if they’ve been in control the whole time. As if they orchestrated the whole event, right down to the double suicide. But that will only work if I play along with them.”
- “Who knows who I would be or what I would talk about if I’d been raised in the Capitol?”
- “Any return to The Way of Men is probably going to happen in hollow states through extra-legal means.”