An irregular hodgepodge of links gathered together … Omnium Gatherum for February 7, 2019
- “Dorothea Tanning, February 27—June 9, Tate Modern, London
“Discover the artist who pushed the boundaries of surrealism
This is the first large-scale exhibition of Dorothea Tanning’s work for 25 years. It brings together 100 works from her seven-decade career – from enigmatic paintings to uncanny sculptures.
Tanning wanted to depict ‘unknown but knowable states’: to suggest there was more to life than meets the eye.”
- “The mythic connection between Netflix’s Punisher and Satan’s second-in-command, Mephistopheles. Frank is a devil who preys on sinners themselves.” — Cian Maher, Polygon
“Despite being a devil, Mephistopheles isn’t inherently evil; he merely tries to save those who are hellbound from themselves before it’s too late, and escorts them to the fiery depths of it once they inevitably fail to heed his warnings. Neither does he reside in Hell. Instead, he brings it with him wherever he goes, pulling the damned in with him. He may be an agent for the devil incarnate, but he never consciously seeks to corrupt the hearts of men — only taking those who are already corrupted. As Willard Farnham puts it, ‘He appears because he senses in Faustus’ magical summons that Faustus is already corrupt, that indeed he is already ‘in danger to be damned.’’ And that’s exactly what Frank Castle does to those he sees as irrevocably damned. He appears not because they are powerful or impressive, but because he can see that they are too far gone.”
- “The Satanic Temple is finally getting its big screen moment. Hail Satan? makes a film about Satanists so compelling that you may want to become one.” — Karen Han, Polygon
“Who knew Satanists were so lovely?”
- Tweet by CrimsonChains
— CrimsonChains (@CrimChain) February 3, 2019
- “Russian Witches Cast Spells in Putin’s Support ” — The Moscow Times [HT Julia Ioffe]
“Russian witches and seers performed on Tuesday one of their most powerful rituals, “the circle of power,” to pass on their mystical energy to President Vladimir Putin.
Dozens of people who claim to have supernatural powers stood side by side, reading spells in their effort to support the Russian head of state.
Self-proclaimed leader of the Russian witches Alyona Polyn said the main intention of the gathering is to enhance quality of life in Russia, the whole world in general and to support the president.”
- “Gossip was a powerful tool for the powerless in Ancient Greece” — Fiona McHardy, Aeon
“Athenians were well-aware of the calculated use of gossip to launch attacks on their enemies, and they made careful use of gossip in rhetoric to cast aspersions about their opponents in the law courts. The presence in legal cases of women’s gossip, including gossip spread by low-status members of society, demonstrates that the Athenians did not discriminate about the source, but took advantage of all kinds of gossip in their attempts to defeat their adversaries. Through calculated use of gossip, women, non-citizens or slaves with no access to official legal channels wielded a potent weapon in their attempts to attain revenge against those who wronged them.”
- Keep Learning Science, Kids, with Baphomet, by Headline
“How did the Devil invent science?
Hey, kids! It’s your friend, the Prince of Darkness here. Just reminding you to smoke drugs, listen to death metal, and — above all else — keep learning science!
I tell you what. It was hard work burying all those fake dinosaur fossils. And creating technology like radiocarbon dating. And putting all those ideas in Chucky Darwin’s head when he visited the Galapagos. But in the end, it was all worth it!
So go ahead. Pick up that biology text book. Enrich your understanding of the physical and material world through observation and experimentation. What could be the harm? All the cool kids are doing it. Muhahahaha!”
- Tweet by Dani Bostick [HT who]
Ecce! Trump in Curiam ad orationem faciendam venit.
— Dani Bostick (@danibostick) February 6, 2019
- “Nigeria Muslims Mimic Pentecostal Worship Style to Attract People to Islam” — SUZETTE GUTIERREZ-CACHILA, Gospel Herald [HT Dr. Supernatural]
“More and more Muslim groups in Nigeria are adapting a form of “charismatic Islam” in the hope of achieving the same success as Pentecostal churches in the country in terms of growth.”
- “Pope admits clerical abuse of nuns including sexual slavery” — BBC News
“Pope Francis has admitted that clerics have sexually abused nuns, and in one case they were kept as sex slaves.
He said in that case his predecessor, Pope Benedict, was forced to shut down an entire congregation of nuns who were being abused by priests.
It is thought to be the first time that Pope Francis has acknowledged the sexual abuse of nuns by the clergy.
He said the Church was attempting to address the problem but said it was “still going on”.
Last November, the Catholic Church’s global organisation for nuns denounced the “culture of silence and secrecy” that prevented them from speaking out.”
- “How a Demon-Slaying Pentecostal Billionaire Is Ushering in a Post-Catholic Brazil. Edir Macedo has a church, a bank, a TV channel, and a Moses complex. And with the election of Jair Bolsonaro, he has emerged as the country’s most controversial kingmaker.” — Alexander Zaitchik and Christopher Lord, The New Republic
“The building is meant to be a supersized reproduction of the biblical Temple of Solomon, but by way of Caesar’s Palace.”