Happy Thelemic Year V:ix!
Howdy everyone! Here’s a public summary of my activity this week ending March 24, 2023!
This week I did a whole lot of work restoring most of David Richard Jones’ Invisible College pages. During the migration to the wiki engine these pages did not transfer because for a lot of them I was using special code for them, and so there was not any page to import, per se. So, I had to go back through them all and create pages and then add a bunch of links to downloadable files. And so on. Also, I’ve had some annoying technical issues, including a power outage that revealed that the site server was not properly set to reboot on power restoration, a disk full on the blog server, and my desktop had some stability problems. Anyhow, that’s a bit too much of a hint on how I made the sausage this week. I also added more of the old newsletters, finished adding all the old Write.As issues and another Revue issue. Plus, there’s new and updated Hermeneuticon entries, and a few more Sufi and Nasruddin tiny tales from Laura Gibbs.
And, as always, I worked on various other things I’ve not specifically mentioned on website, blog, and more … Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting and being a guest of Hermetic Library. You help me be of service and make the work of the library meaningful. Especial thanks to each and every ongoing Patron on Patreon, Subscriber at Bandcamp, and Member on Ko-Fi for making the work of the library possible!
Happy Thelemic Year V:ix! As of March 20 at 15:33 UTC, it is a new year represented by the docosade of Atu V, the Hierophant and the year of Atu IX, The Hermit. Of course, this also marks the anniversary of the Invocation of Horus aka the Supreme Ritual, The Equinox of the Gods, and astronomical Equinox when Sun is at 0° Aries.
Here’s upcoming calendar and astronomical events, plus the daily Thelemic Tephilah practice, for the coming week, March 24–31.
Follow Calendar on the web and rss. And, if you have a current or upcoming event to share, add it to the Hermetic Library Calendar!
Here’s recurring calendar events in Hermeneuticon for this coming week.
- Feast of Priapus, March 24
- Feast of Johannes Dee, March 26
- Greater Feast of Mansur al-Hallaj, died March 26, 922 at Baghdad, Iraq
- Greater Feast of Emanuel Swedenborg, died March 29, 1772 at London, England
- Greater Feast of Jane Wolfe, Soror Estai, died March 29, 1958 at Glendale, California
- First quarter moon, March 28
Here’s reminders for Thelemic Tephilah daily practice for this upcoming week, from the Hermeneuticon page for the month, and we’re exiting the interregnum, and starting a New Year!
- Thelemic Tephilah, March 24, TZADDI, The Emperor, Aries; Liber Tzaddi
- Thelemic Tephilah, March 25, PEH, The Tower, Mars; Liber VII, Cap. I
- Thelemic Tephilah, March 26, A’AYIN, The Devil, Capricorn; Liber A’ash
- Thelemic Tephilah, March 27, SAMEKH, Art, Sagittarius; Liber ARARITA, Cap. VII
- Thelemic Tephilah, March 28, NUN, Death, Scorpio; Liber Arcanorum
- Thelemic Tephilah, March 29, MEM, The Hanged Man, Water; Liber LXV, Cap. III
- Thelemic Tephilah, March 30, LAMED, Adjustment, Libra; Liber Libræ
- Thelemic Tephilah, March 31, KAPH, Fortune, Jupiter; Liber VII, Cap. III
Follow Zine on the web and rss. And, if you something you’ve created to share, send it in to the Hermetic Library Zine!
I’ve slowed down posting to one item a week because I’m low on things. I more than filled the previous issue, but now I need more submissions for this current one, if it is to happen, as planned, on Aphelion 2023.
- What are the Words by SD Master
Things to check out at Hermetic Library
- I added another batch of Laura Gibbs’ Tiny Tales; from the Sufis, including Ali and the Knight, When Hallaj Grew Pale, The Caliph and the Pearl, The King’s Caravansary, and King Ibrahim on the Roof; and of Nasruddin, including Nasruddin in the Cupboard, The Burglar in The Dark, Bags of Loot, The Thief With a Wagon, and The Thief and Nasruddin’s Rooster.
- I added Hermeneuticon entries for George William Russell, Princess of Swords; and updated Thelemic New Year and LAM.
- Too many specific things to list them all, but I’ve restored around, maybe over, half of David Richard Jones‘ Invisible College site, with pages and tons of downloadables, improving a few things as I went; but there’s more to do.
And on the blog
All the quotes, reviews, &c. (But not OG, Events Calendar, Zine, &c.)
- I’ve now added all of the old Write.as issue to the Newsletter archive on the blog, and a couple more from those I sent through Revue. The ones through Revue take a lot more work, so they might be one at a time each week, but I’ll get through them eventually.
- David held out his hands in a gesture that was supposed to mean, So fucking sorry for something that’s not remotely my fault, but people had already lost interest in him.—John Ajvide Lindqvist, Handling the Undead
- we hold Love holy, our heart’s religion, our mind’s science.—Aleister Crowley, New Comment on I.52, Liber AL vel Legis, The Book of the Law
- Strange Rites—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews Strange Rites: New Religions for a Godless World by Tara Isabella Burton.
- Fuck! Shit! Let me come Alostrael—Fuck!—Aleister Crowley, Leah Sublime
- Happy Thelemic New Year 2023!—Today was a day with a lot of milestones! First, happy Thelemic New Year 2023!
- Whether in fear of Hell or fear of the end of pleasure, men danced their lives out hopelessly, drank and fucked with abandon in the taverns. Convinced that intoxication could save them from the scourge, they hid against the cold miasma of the plague in the thick, hot mist of wine and sweat.—Mary Sativa, The Lovers’ Crusade
- Magic is life; the Will to Live Is one supreme Affirmative.—Aleister Crowley, Liber CCXLII Aha!
- Princess of Swords—Generated visuals for Princess of Swords from Thoth Tarot using MidJourney and Dall-E from a mix of parsed text description & card image prompts.
- This is not to absolve the world of its ugliness, or to deny that truly fearful things exist in it. But some of these things can be overcome–on the condition that we build an aesthetic on the overcoming rather than the fear. I recently attended a gay dance/poetry performance of uncompromising hipness: the one black dancer in the troupe had to pretend to fuck a dead sheep. Part of my self-induced stupidity, I confess, is to believe (& even feel) that art can change me, & change others. That’s why I write pornography & propaganda–to cause change. Art can never mean as much as a love affair, perhaps, or an insurrection. But…to a certain extent…it works.—Hakim Bey, The Temporary Autonomous Zone, Against the Reproduction of Death
- I saw the petty, the quarrelsome, the selfish, — they were like men, O Lord, they were even like unto men. I saw Thee in these.—Aleister Crowley, Liber DCCCXIIII vel ARARITA, II:6
- The Book of Skaith—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews The Book of Skaith: The Adventures of Eric John Stark by Leigh Brackett, illo Don Maitz, a Science Fiction Book Club omnibus of The Ginger Star, The Hounds of Skaith, and The Reavers of Skaith.
- What is the artistic sense in you? What but the One Channel always open to you through which this Light flows freely to enkindle you (and the world through you) with flowers of inexhaustible fervour and flame?—Aleister Crowley, Magick Without Tears, Chapter LXXI: Morality (2)
- Anthology news, 24mar2023
- Snow White straps Rose Red to her hip and rides out on a big apron-faced Appaloosa with spots on his rump like eyes. So what if it’s stealing? She took her daddy’s hat, too. Snow White can ride so sweet, you’d think there’s no horse under her, just a girl with four legs pounding the ground. Fuck that mirror and fuck that house. What’s she owe them? Her back, that’s what. The girl is gone. She is plumb finished. She walks out through the front door.—Catherynne M Valente, Six-Gun Snow White
- This constitutes a profound Riddle of Holiness. Note η Σφίγξ = Υραίος = 781 = 71 x 11. See authorities for special meanings of these words. Those only understand it who combine in themselves the extremes of Moral Idea, identifying them through transcendental overcoming of the antinomy. They must have gone further yet, beyond the fundamental opposition of the sexes. The male must have completed himself and become androgyne; the female become gynander. This incompleteness imprisons the soul. To think “I am not woman, but man” or vice versa, is to limit one’s self, to set a bar to one’s motion. It is the root of the ‘shutting-up’ which culminates in becoming “Mary inviolate” or a “Black Brother”.—Aleister Crowley, Commentary to Liber LXV, V.44 in Commentaries on the Holy Books and Other Papers, pp202–204 and In The Continuum, vol II no 1, pp37–38
And, not for nothing, but be sure to check out all the Omnium Gatherum posts on the blog, which I don’t list individually here! If you’re only following along on social media, you’re now over 140 posts and two weeks behind already. If you’re neither following on social media nor directly on the blog, you’re missing tons of stuff! To keep up, consider grabbing an RSS reader, or adding a bookmark to your browser, to check daily for the hot freshness.
- Anthology news, 12mar2023 and another one because I forgot two things [Bandcamp/Followers]