Here’s a summary of activity for the week ending May 21st, 2017.
The Hermetic Library 2017 Funding Campaign is still going, and it runs through to the end of the month. This hasn’t been as popular this year as it was last time, but there’s some great perks available only during this campaign, including featured blog and website link and graphic spaces at significant discounts and that stay up for a full year. Plus other fun stuff to be had, which hasn’t been picked up, like the one day mini conference, which would be crazy fun to pull together. Check that out and see if there’s anything that strikes your fancy, and join the campaign, which helps keep all the fun at the library going through the year for another year.
I’m starting to get ready for the next Hermetic Library anthology, Magick Music and Ritual 13. I’ll be posting the call for submissions for both the Hermetic Library and Odd Order anthologies next month, so I’ve got to get post and pages and everything ready for that.
The other day I noticed there were a bunch of people that had created accounts on the Hrmtc Underground voice chat server while I wasn’t paying attention. Seeing there are actually people there makes me want to do something soon. I’m still stuck on satellite for Internet, so it’s not been possible to do “open office hours” while I work on the site yet. The idea was that I’d sit in voice chat while working on the site, which is most days, from early morning until afternoon. Other ideas were to have call in talk shows or presentations, which I think would be fun, and I could record so there’d be an archive of them. Lots of ideas of what could happen, and knowing there are people interested has had me thinking more about how to make that a thing.
I’d love to do another Zine or Reader’s Theatre is people want to send in things for that. Once I’ve got enough material for either, I’ll put it together. Although I previously had put Reader’s Theatre up on the library Soundcloud, and since I’ve left that service after they killed groups, I have to figure out how best to present the next one; perhaps as a podcast within this blog.
Although the Funding Campaign hasn’t been going well this year, so it’ll be more difficult to do than I’d hoped, I’ve been thinking about posting a “job description” for assistant librarians. Basically, I’m thinking these would be volunteer positions, but with a paid honorarium, not a job-job but not nothing, right? The idea is to finally start to Find The Others who would be willing and able to help out with content, communication, curation and creation at the library on the site, blog, BBS, and voice chat. If you think you’d be interested, let me know. One of the first things you could do to get ready for that opportunity is head over to the BBS and become active enough there so you gain automatic access to the “trust level 3” lounge. Or, something else! Get in touch and let me know what you’re interested in doing to help out.
And, don’t forget! You can submit your idea pitches for articles, reviews, stories, or soever for the library blog and actually, thanks to all the Funding and Patron supporters, get paid for those when they are posted!
Here’s a summary of posts on the blog from last week
- “the fact was that she’d fallen back into a life of crime without meaning to—and the worst sort of crime, at that: the low-paying kind.” — Quote
- Logicomix — Review
- Dark Knights of the Solar Cross — Review
- “Well read and familiar with such writers as Tyndall, Huxley, Spencer and other scientists, and being rather cosmopolitan in tastes, liked to gather about her, people who had—as she termed it—ideas.” — Quote
- Gödel’s Proof — Review
- Daily Life of the Egyptian Gods — Review
- Aetheric Mechanics — Review
- Condensed Chaos — Review
- “But, to speak practically and as a citizen, unlike those who call themselves no-government men, I ask for, not at once no government, but at once a better government.” — Quote
- “Natural, rational life is the basis of all genuine spiritual development” — Quote
- Comparative Mythology — Review
- Greater Feast of Elias Ashmole — Calendar
- “There are not enough books here. The sight of the bare shelves shames me. What have I done?” — Quote
- Commentaries on the Holy Books and Other Papers — Review
- “She didn’t give a damn. She had a list of what she didn’t like, and almost everything—and everybody—in Lychford was on it.” — Quote
- “Judith hated nostalgia. It was just the waiting room for death.” — Quote
- Carnal Alchemy — Review
- “I existed all right, but I existed only as a condition of constant desiring and yearning, because I knew nothing.” — Quote
- The Candle Magick Workbook – Review
- “The good news is that when your operational behavior is grooved to engage with everything that comes your way, at all levels, based upon those dynamics, a deep alignment occurs, and wondrous things emerge. You become highly productive. You make things up, and you make them happen.” — Quote
Some top pages at the library
- The Masters Revealed: Madame Blavatsky and the Myth of the Great White Lodge — Joscelyn Godwin
- Part II – the Planets — Astrology: Your Place in the Stars — Aleister Crowley
- Saint-Yves d’Alveydre and the Agartthian Connection — Joscelyn Godwin
- Magic — Ideas of Good and Evil — William Butler Yeats
- The Mysteries in Relation to Philosophy — The Arcane Schools — John Yarker
Some top posts on social media
- The Masters Revealed: Madame Blavatsky and the Myth of the Great White Lodge – The Eudaimonia of Joscelyn Godwin – Hermetic Library
- An anonymous Treatise on the Philosopher’s Stone – Secret Symbols of the Rosicrucians of the 16th & 17th Centuries – Franz Hartmann – Hermetic Library
- The Manuscript – Clouds without Water – The Libri of Aleister Crowley – Hermetic Library
- THE AMBASSADORS – Bagh I Muattar – The Libri of Aleister Crowley – Hermetic Library
- A History of Western Magick – That Old Black Magick… – Colin Campbell – Hermetic Library
Some top posts on the BBS
- “the inside of the Tower of Babel, a perfectly fascinating pastiche of Bruegel’s original” — Gatherum
- Tin Foil Hat Society 2016 Membership Application / Renewal — Gatherum
- “maybe what’s anomalous is for facts and reason to have the upper hand” — Gatherum
- “In the most cashless society on the planet, even God now accepts digital payments.” — Gatherum
- “Love is not wrong, love is not a mistake, love is not an abomination, love is just love.” — Gatherum